Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


I have been thinking about Grandpa Barber Lately and since today is Memorial day I can't think of a better time to post about him. He was My Grandpa I say that because that's how he made you feel, like you were that important to him that you were his only grandchild. I can't think of any significant event in my childhood where he and Grandma weren't there! He was a man of few words, unless he had a captive audience. But when he did talk his words were always wise and full of Lessons of love and of the Savior. I have never met a man so dedicated to the Gospel than he and He spent much of his life in church service. If there was a man who is more of a perfect example of how to follow Christ I haven't met him yet! He always respected women and that is something I learned from him. You did not talk back to a woman in his presence or he would correct that. I also have never heard anyone say a bad thing about him! He was a giant among men and I miss him alot!
I think I miss his smile, his red Christmas vest, his trains, talking about BYU with him, watching games with him, listening to the story of him watching the cougars at Air Force and Steve Young picking them apart, his love for dogs( he would always pet Katie when he came to Mom and Dads), his handshakes, his love for his wife and family, his many ball caps and hats (never worn inside of course), his love for the savior and the church, his patriotism, his love of planes, and most of all just seeing him.
On this memorial day I will remember my Grandpa Barber. I miss you Grandpa and am glad that I will see you again someday! I love you Grandpa!

6 comments:

Cassie said...

Thanks for this sweet post, Scott.

I have been thinking a lot about Grandpa too. What a great man! All the time I had with him I cherish. He called me Ms. Merry Sunshine...which shows his great sense of humor! We all know I was a whiney brat! But, I too felt he was "MY" Grandpa. He loved me in spite of my grumpiness. It always makes me a little sad that the man I marry won't get to meet Grandpa. Especially since I judge all other men by him! Those are some big shoes to fill.

Danielle said...

I am so glad you posted this! I had been thinking of Grandpa over the weekend, but your post really brought back all the little things. He truly was amazing, and we were all very lucky to have him as our Grandpa.

jenn said...

Grandpa sure was the best. I miss him so much too. Thanks for this sweet post (and for making me cry!), I've been thinking about him a lot lately too. He was an extrodinary man. So lucky to have him as our Grandpa.

Laurel said...

wow, Scott - I don't think I ever got to meet your grandpa, but this makes me admire him anyway, and wish i'd had the opportunity to. what a wonderful example and legacy for you and your family. I enjoyed reading about him and about the things he taught you by his example.

Randa Pickle said...

That was a really nice tribute to Dad. Between his Birthday in June and Memorial Day, I've been thinking of all the good things about him. Thanks for making us all cry. Mom and Carol were especially touched by your comments. Thanks son, you're a lot like him. Love ya,
Mom

Nancy Allen said...

Scott - I hope you're not getting multiple messages from me - I had a hard time posting. Anyway, I loved your piece on Dad - it brought tears to my eyes. I really miss him - he was the best!!!! Loved your family pictures too. The kids sure are growing up. Love ya, Nancy